Thursday, July 24, 2008

iPhone 3G - almost 3 weeks

This will be a POV assessment of the 3G having used it now for about 3 weeks.

First, what I like:

I like the added speed that comes with 3G. The download speeds on sites as well as applications clearly beats the old Edge network. OEM apps such as weather and stocks return results a lot faster than Edge did.

Applications are awesome. I have downloaded a handful, mostly free ones. Light saber is fun. I would like to see some really useful ones come out that are free. For example, BofA did a banking online app...Wells Fargo should too. I am thinking of a couple myself that I would like to invent...just need to figure out the monetizing aspect.

GPS is great. It pinpoints more accurately where you are. However, an existing feature that I like is the ability to type in the name of what you are looking for and it will try to find in within the vicinity you are currently at.

I like the fact that 3G defaults to Edge when the 3G network can't be found.

This next one is a double-edge sword...Exchange. The ability to get work email is great from a connectivity POV, but bad from a work life balance aspect.

What I don't like (or wish Apple would do better)

I don't care what the articles say about 3G battery life. It SUCKS...literally sucks power like a kid on a tootsie pop asking the Mr. Owl how many licks it takes to the center. I think Exchange is the biggest hoard of power, most likely due to the constant PUSH of information. The 3G network aspect is also a battery hog, although you can turn that off if you want to conserve power. Exchange will continue to work as well as other email at good rates.

Using just email, an occasional 3-5 min call, and a sneak at the latest apps, I am recharging about 1x a day. That is horrible performance given the advertised longevity, even with variable usage.

While I am currently vacationing in Hawaii, I am not getting the 3G to auto pick up the Edge network which is clearly present.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I am still think there should be a better way to toggle between email accounts. Currently, you have to scale back to the top of the hierarchy to access a different inbox.

The new syncing procedure seems to be a bit longer. Now the iPhone goes through a back up process every time you sync. So if there is a lot on your device, expect to take some time before you can disconnect. I have yet to figure out if the back up can be made optional.

Overall, the 3G is still the most productive etool for the average individual. I am not sure it is ready for hard core enterprise, which Crackberry is already geared for. However, I am no longer a Crack user and having a tool that is a mix personal and business performer, 3G serves me well.

I do hope Apple will be able to come up with some software releases that will help with battery life.

Aloha from Waikiki

No comments: