Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 2 of 3G iPhone

I have been fortunate enough to play with the new 3G for a few hours. It took AT&T and Apple many hours before I could activate my phone. Even though I walked out with one at close to 11am. I was not activated and ready to go until 5pm. I heard the stories on the news and I wasn't that upset. First of all, I had the warnings at the store and on the news. So why bother with swimming against the current. Once I was cleared to unbrick via iTunes...set up was EASY. There were some issues with the SMS as I was not offered the options. So I had to go to the store today to remedy that as well as get my mom set up on virtual voicemail as I handed down the 1st gen to her.

Overall, the 3G is faster. I love the GPS and getting apps is kinda cool. I got the light saber app this afternoon. It makes the sounds of a Star Wars light saber in action. Others I got for free were AIM, Mandarin, Remote, Facebook, and Light. I was disappointed with Remote. Supposedly you can control your iTunes on the Mac with the 3G. Didn't work...couldn't get the thing to connect. Light is kinda funny. All is does is turn your screen to the brightest and whitest so you can use it as a flashlight.

I also configured the 3G for work (Exchange). While I think it is convenient to get your work email on it, I have 2 big DOWNERS for this. First, it forces you to put a passcode on the iPhone. Thus you will have to enter that passcode anytime you wake the phone up. Second, there are additional steps to getting at email based on the account you want to access. Think of it as a cascading tree. The highest level is account. Therefore, if you configure exchange and gmail, you have 2. You can only access 1 at a time and must climb back up the tree if you want to change to a different account. STUPID. Man do I sound like a Apple loyalist now? The ones I always make fun of? Maybe, but this is basic functionality that should be in any software capability...not just Apple's.

Something gives me the impression that the screen is better and the resolution on the pictures are better. The camera was upgraded no?

I like the fact that you don't have to be in 3G mode. If you turn it off you default to Edge. Perfectly fine if you are using the phone portion. I also feel that in 3G my phone reception is weaker at my house. This may have something to do with the towers not all being upgraded to 3G. In Edge mode you will conserve more battery power. Just remember that you have to go back into settings and turn it on if you want to use data. I think someone should build an app for that.

The Facebook app is cool. No more connecting to the internet first to update your status...or wasting text messages to update your status!

Okay that's it for now...I am going to go back and do some more light saber!

1 comment:

Oren said...

Great to hear the update on how the second day with iPhone 3G went. I wonder if your reception sounds better when you switch off the 3G network to EDGE? That might test your hypothesis of not all cell towers getting upgrading resulting in poorer signal strength.

Thanks for the update.